[aklug] ntfs-3g: NTFS != Windows

From: Royce Williams <royce@tycho.org>
Date: Mon Jan 14 2013 - 20:54:40 AKST

Lazy, so just pasting in some tweets. Learning this the hard way was
a big, nasty surprise. Tuxera claims that their goal is "Windows
interoperability", but in their support forums, they defend this
default as "Hey, we're adhering to the NTFS spec, and Microsoft
isn't." While I respect the technical accuracy of the stance, that's
not what interoperability is about.

Tweets tell the story:

1. w/o 'windows_names' mount option, ntfs-3g allows ':' in filenames,
which Windows chkdsk will delete as invalid. Ugly.

2. @tuxeraUSA Please consider making the 'windows_names' mount option
the default for ntfs-3g. Not doing so violates POLA.

3. @tuxeraUSA IOW, "Why can't I create files w/colons?" a better
default user experience than "Why did chkdsk delete my files?"

4. Common filenames w/colons include email files w/subject lines (Re:,
FW:, etc.) and Maildir files. Also, glad I had backups.

Royce

--
Royce Williams