[aklug] Re: Anybody have a spare VT machine?

From: Erinn Looney-Triggs <erinn.looneytriggs@gmail.com>
Date: Mon Jan 07 2013 - 11:44:56 AKST

On 01/07/13 11:34, Lee Brumbaugh wrote:
> I'm looking at starting to study for the RHCSA/E and it looks like it
> delves into KVM's. From what I understand the hardware/processor
> needs to be an AMD "Bulldozer" or an Intel "Sandy Bridge" which is an
> i3 or higher machine. I currently don't have enough hardware to
> support the testing environment that it looks like I'd need. So I'm
> hoping I could acquire something along those lines from the group
> here.
>
> So I was wondering if anyone had any spare machine they weren't using
> that has VT in it for sale or trade. I have an original OLPC up for
> grabs that is collecting some dust that I can part with.
>

> Lee Brumbaugh

Unless something has changed with KVM I think all you need is the Intel
VT extensions in place, they were introduced 7 years ago:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X86_virtualization#Intel_virtualization_.28VT-x.29
I remember working with KVM on a VT enabled system about 5 years ago, so
unless you have some really old hardware, or you just got unlucky and
kept purchasing non VT chips, you can probably work with KVM.

Also note that sometimes you have to go into the BIOS to enable VT on
systems.

-Erinn