[aklug] Re: e-mail scripting

From: Christopher Howard <christopher.howard@frigidcode.com>
Date: Mon Dec 31 2012 - 21:51:31 AKST

On 12/31/2012 06:59 PM, Royce Williams wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 31, 2012 at 5:41 PM, Christopher Howard
> <christopher.howard@frigidcode.com> wrote:
>

> The trade-off there is that a given server is probably less fragile
> than a given client. If the server supports SIEVE, you can do quite a
> bit of stuff without having to engage the client at all, and also
> without messing with the server's core configuration. You also get
> the benefit of not having to store a password locally.
>
> My $.02: Use SIEVE for everything it supports, and (as Ted and Leif
> said), use procmail for everything else. That way, if your client
> isn't available for some reason, you still get most of your processing
> functionality. This could let you defer having to fix it, if larger
> fires are burning.
>
> Also, if you're doing a lot of advanced processing, I suggest setting
> up a separate email box to receive most of the not-really-to-you stuff
> that you want to automate. Ideally, if you're playing
> admin-as-middleware as you describe, those messages should go to role
> accounts that you can carve off and hand to others later without
> having to unwind a bunch of you-specific filtering.
>
> OK, that was about $0.04. What's a power of two among friends? ;-)
>
> --
> Royce Williams

SIEVE does sound like a useful way to get portable filters, but (unless
I am mistaken), it's capabilities are limited to redirection, deletion,
and that sort of thing. I need to do stuff like automatically download
attachments, parse them, reformat them, rename them, transfer them to
another server, and then update a Web page.

Also, I think that 0.02 to the second power would actually be 0.0004.
Though of course 2*2 = 2^2, in this particular case you are trying to
multiple a money value by itself which does not make sense. I.e., 0.02 d
(or 2 c) * 0.02 d (or 2 c) = 0.0004 d^2 (or 4 c^2).

:)

--
frigidcode.com