[aklug] Re: e-mail scripting

From: Royce Williams <royce@tycho.org>
Date: Mon Dec 31 2012 - 18:59:01 AKST

On Mon, Dec 31, 2012 at 5:41 PM, Christopher Howard
<christopher.howard@frigidcode.com> wrote:

> That's on the server side, yes? Or do I misunderstand? I DO NOT want to
> mess with my e-mail server config whatsoever.

The trade-off there is that a given server is probably less fragile
than a given client. If the server supports SIEVE, you can do quite a
bit of stuff without having to engage the client at all, and also
without messing with the server's core configuration. You also get
the benefit of not having to store a password locally.

My $.02: Use SIEVE for everything it supports, and (as Ted and Leif
said), use procmail for everything else. That way, if your client
isn't available for some reason, you still get most of your processing
functionality. This could let you defer having to fix it, if larger
fires are burning.

Also, if you're doing a lot of advanced processing, I suggest setting
up a separate email box to receive most of the not-really-to-you stuff
that you want to automate. Ideally, if you're playing
admin-as-middleware as you describe, those messages should go to role
accounts that you can carve off and hand to others later without
having to unwind a bunch of you-specific filtering.

OK, that was about $0.04. What's a power of two among friends? ;-)

--
Royce Williams