[aklug] Ubuntu in skin upgrade

From: barsalou <barjunk@attglobal.net>
Date: Sat Dec 08 2012 - 10:38:05 AKST

Recently I had an opportunity to do an in skin upgrade from Ubuntu
10.04 to 12.04.

This upgrade took about 2 hours and included the downloading of all
the packages.

My preparation for this task was to ensure that all the updates from
the 10.04 were applied and to back up critical configuration files in
order to restore services if the upgrade failed.

I'm happy to say that it went scarily well. In all my years of doing
these sorts of upgrades, I normally deploy to a new box, get all my
testing done then migrate.

In this particular case, we didn't have other hardware to migrate to,
so were stuck with an in skin upgrade.

It is important to note that there were minimal things running on this server:

  - Samba
  - Webserver (PHP)
  - SSH
  - MySQL

So there wasn't a whole lot of risk here.

Also, I used the GUI interface from Update Manager to complete this task.

It felt wrong, but hey, had to give it a try. :)

It seems likely that other distros would perform similarly, but who knows?

Mike B.