[aklug] Re: Fiber Internet

From: Kevin Miller <atftb2@alaska.net>
Date: Sat Nov 24 2012 - 13:36:10 AKST

On 11/24/2012 01:10 PM, Jeremy Austin wrote:
> At 50 megabits per second you could blow the usage cap in less than two
> days.

You could but probably wouldn't. All depends on what you're offering.
Email isn't likely to change much, Internal web viewing may, depending
on company policies. Nothing some judicious traffic shaping can't cure.
  You'll be able to offer more bandwidth intensive web sites - videos
and other streaming content but if you're not looking to do that the
current bandwidth usage will probably remain pretty static.

The info page Jeremy linked to doesn't say whether the feed is
symmetrical or not. IMO, a business feed should be but historically GCI
hasn't offered that. Maybe they will with this. That and pricing would
be the deciding factors for me. I didn't notice the cost mentioned
anywhere. Maybe one of those "If you have to ask you can't afford it"
things...

...Kevin

--
Kevin Miller - http://www.alaska.net/~atftb