[aklug] Re: Prolog

From: Tim Johnson <tim@akwebsoft.com>
Date: Wed Oct 31 2012 - 07:47:00 AKDT

* Christopher Howard <christopher.howard@frigidcode.com> [121031 07:09]:
> Anybody on the list into Prolog? I'm just picking it up. I haven't
> learned to do anything useful with it yet, but it is rather interesting
> and surprising so far. For example, it seems that in Prolog results are
> not true or false, properly speaking, but rather either proven to be
> true, or not able to be proved; a significant difference, and not what I
> was expecting.
>
> So far I've journeyed about two chapters into a Prolog tutorial. I
> learned how to make a small knowledge base of terms and to query it for
> information interactively. I haven't learned how to run a stand alone
> program, or for that matter, what Prolog is even used for, aside from a
> few hints at the Wikipedia page. :)
>
> In the past I've ranted about how we should all be learning C, assembly,
> and other low level languages. Yet, I must confess that for a long time
> now I have found myself more and more intrigued by the abstract,
> esoteric languages, such as Haskell, Lisp, and Prolog.

  --- I'm back from Rome ---
  Christopher, we may have had a similar conversation earlier, but I
  understand that prolog has a history with Artificial Intelligence
  reasearch and application.

  Also : Note that there is a book called the Reasoned Schemer
  http://www.amazon.com/Reasoned-Schemer-Daniel-P-Friedman/dp/0262562146
  And when at the site above, do a search on the following string:

  prolog

  Several versions of scheme (to my knowledge) including racket
  (used to be plt-scheme) will use the kanren extensions
  http://kanren.sourceforge.net/
  necessary to implement, test and apply the code in the Reasoned
  Schemer.
  Also, a prolog extension was written for rebol :
  http://www.rebol.org/view-script.r?script=prolog.r
  I used to do a lot of development in rebol, which was developed by
  the same guy who developed the Amiga OS (Carl Sassenrath) and for
  whom my niece worked at one time.
  Rebol never went anywhere, but is still worth investigating if you
  like 'esoteric' and 'efficient'.

  cheers

--
Tim