[aklug] Re: SSDs

From: Robert Crowe <crowe.robert@gmail.com>
Date: Sat Oct 20 2012 - 12:16:53 AKDT

Kind of along these lines: my trusty (and old-er) Gobook PIII does very
fine with a cf card-to-ide adpator. The adaptor was $3 and the cf-card was
$29 two years ago, and I haven't had any issues. Not too shabby for a poor
mans SSD. I never timed how long my battery would last then, but I get
close to 5 hours on a used battery surfing and listening to music.

Btw-this is my "No-X" box. I have Debian Lenny with a handful of console
apps. But I'll save that for another thread. :)

I've been pretty happy with the cf card-considering the same for my eeepc.
A side note, I vaguely remember the card speed was 20x. Without X, I'm sure
I'd never notice the difference between 8x & 20x. My next one will
definitely be the 133x (unless they build a faster one.)

On Fri, Oct 19, 2012 at 4:39 PM, Alan C. <alan@caruth.org> wrote:

> I have Momentus XT 500GB drives in two computers. Overall I've been happy
> with the performance of the drives as fixed platter hard drives, with this
> said, the move to SSD was a night-and-day performance difference. From here
> forward (until SSD's are close to the same price as HDs) if I need tons of
> space I'll still purchase a platter-based hard drive but if I'm building a
> desktop I'll install a SSD as my boot/program/pagefile drive and use the
> hard drive as my media store.
>
> -Alan
>
> On Oct 19, 2012, at 4:33 PM, Shane Spencer <shane@bogomip.com> wrote:
>
> > Also.. I have a Momentus XT in my work lappy. It works very well. A
> > few peeps on the list have also installed them and I'm not 100% sure
> > if they are satisfied yet.. It's an incredible compromise between
> > solid flash and platter land that requires no extra drivers to
> > utilize. Just a big LRU cache in flash.
> >
> > - Shane
> >
> > On Fri, Oct 19, 2012 at 4:21 PM, Shane Spencer <shane@bogomip.com>
> wrote:
> >> Regardless of all the do's and dont's and if's and but's (butt's) out
> >> there.. do it.. do it now.. let it change your life completely. You
> >> will become a new person inside and out.. your vision sharper..
> >> hearing better.. booting faster..
> >>
> >> Have fun using one to do a Debian install from local repositories.
> >> It's nice not having to seek nearly as often... Now have nowhere near
> >> as much fun doing it in platters.
> >>
> >> I've had to replace an SSD once. They sent me a replacement free. I
> >> backed up my data. I won.
> >>
> >> - Shane

> > ---------

ΨΦ! μ~πζ≈∞Ωא
"Listen to me! When you die in Alaska you die in real life!"
"Only a fool tests the depth of the water with both feet."
African Proverb
"When in charge, ponder. When in doubt, mumble. When in trouble, delegate."
I make chaos