[aklug] Re: SSDs

From: Greg Madden <gomadtroll@gci.net>
Date: Fri Oct 19 2012 - 10:57:47 AKDT

On Thursday 18 October 2012 23:52:17 Christopher Howard wrote:
> Anybody on this list using SSDs instead of traditional hard drives? How
> has your experiences been with them? Reliability? Lifetime? Did it
> justify the higher price?
>
> I'm considering making the switch... have had a rather frustrating
> experience with my hard drives in the reliability area. Seems like I'm
> rolling a dice every time I buy one. Never know if one is going to last
> two years before having issues, or two months.

I bought a new Lenova Thinkpad this summer for work. My main concern was battery
life and, hopefully, more robust handling. The laptop is used in the field,
construction sites, variable power availability and rough handling.

 I did not spend much time researching lifetime issues, though the Intel SSD that
comes with the Lenova, has some good reviews. Seemed like a good time to try a
SSD drive.

No complaints, wait a couple of years.

--
Peace,