[aklug] Re: Drupal :: the real linux test

From: Arthur Corliss <acorliss@nevaeh-linux.org>
Date: Fri Oct 12 2012 - 10:08:46 AKDT

On Fri, 12 Oct 2012, Marc Grober wrote:

> Drupal largely provides templates and a gui for the db's manipulation
> and it presents a display that is assembled on request based on the
> templates and db routines. In a very real sense that is historic unix
> behavior and I built perl based web apps in much the same manner almost
> 20 years ago. Perhaps the reason you did not get an answer is because
> the purpose of using drupal is to take advantage of the tools that
> Drupal is.

Uh, that's distinctly *not* UNIX, that's Windows. One tool that does
everything, but questionably well in one or more circumstances. UNIX's
philosophy is based on the concept that tools are small and effective. Do
one thing, but do it very, very well. It's the box of legos versus the
monolothic application.

As Tim mentions, he has a considerable investment in his own tools, he
shouldn't be forced to abandon them just to use a new tool, and the UNIX way
would never demand that.

         --Arthur Corliss
           Live Free or Die