[aklug] Drupal :: the real linux test

From: Tim Johnson <tim@akwebsoft.com>
Date: Fri Oct 12 2012 - 08:29:40 AKDT

OK - let leave PHP for a moment. We all agree that PHP stands for
"Perverse Hackers can Penetrate", right? So enough of PHP.

Here's my linux test for Drupal. First the "control plot":
On linux (or Mac) I handle email as follows

  1)Fetchmail to get mail - with procmail in .fetchmailrc designated
  as the MDA

  2)Fetchmail hands off to procmail and procmail delivers it.
    Neither fetchmail nor procmail "care" who/what manages the mail.
        Either could be easily replaced by another agent.
  ---
  3)Mutt as client, or it could be pine, no problems.

  4)Vim as email composer (or could be something else) the rc file
  needs to know what editor to invoke.

  5)Postfix for SMTP. And the client doesn't care whether it is
  sendmail either. It just goes to the port.

  Now there's more. I'm going to type
  ,dd
  12-Oct-2012
  And another script (and vim doesn't care whether it is in fortran
  haskell or <shudder> PHP) just inserted the date.

---
This is the beauty of Linux.
---
Now that we have established the control plot. Let's outline the
test plot:
I have a website at http://www.tj49.com/lb go there, check it out,
read some stories - the stories *are* about technology after all.
The site is entirely handrolled.
Let's support I convert that site to a drupal site. Now, let us say
for purposes of illustration that I have a "node" subsequent to my
site that does something. Let's say it is
http://www.tj49.com/lb/notPHP/dosomething and in the "dosomething"
folder we have an .htaccess file that tells the browser to execute
myscript.py as the DirectoryIndex value and a RewriteRule.
The RFC will be OK with this. Is drupal OK with this? IOWS - does
drupal make it easy to use scripts written in languages other than
PHP?
If it doesn't, drupal is no F*C*I*G linux, and LJ is going to owe me
for the $8 I invested in the Ipswich manuals.
BTW: I posed this question to the forum and got no answer. Screw
'em.
OK, you drupalers, let me know what you think. I wear the same type
of flame-proof knickers as does Arthur.
--
Tim
http://www.akwebsoft.com