[aklug] Re: PowerShell

From: Arthur Corliss <acorliss@nevaeh-linux.org>
Date: Thu Oct 11 2012 - 14:35:27 AKDT

On Thu, 11 Oct 2012, James Tweet wrote:

> As I understand it. When IBM first approached MS about making an OS. MS sent IBM to see the UNIX guys. The people making UNIX blew off IBM. So IBM went back to MS.

I've never heard of MS sending IBM to the UNIX guys. MS had been an AT&T
licensee since 1979, though they sublicensed it to people like SCO, etc., to
port to their preferred architectures. By the time IBM & MS started on the
OS/2 project IBM had already created AIX a year earlier, being a UNIX
licensee, themselves.

DOS & OS/2 are the only joint MS/IBM ventures that I know of. If I'm not
missing something, then, that makes your understanding a wee bit off.

> Since then UNIX people have been pissing and moaning about how MS sold a crappy OS to IBM. Dudes get over it.

MS is finally improving the quality of their OS'es, but it can be argued
that they weren't serious about it until Win 7. That leaves the vast
majority of the company's history producing buggy crap, and papering over
the the problems with successively more buggy crap. You can blame those of
us who had to deal with it for holding a grudge.

I know I personally came to be a Linux user after losing far too much work
due to NT crashes. I appreciate that they've improved, but I'm not ready to
trust them again.

> Maybe I should setup a website called UnixMoveOn.org.

Well, if MS is evolving more towards a UNIX model, perhaps you should start
a WindowsMoveOn.org? Tell the users to just cut to the chase and go UNIX
already.

         --Arthur Corliss
           Live Free or Die