[aklug] Re: List server wackiness

From: David J. Weller-Fahy <dave-lists-aklug@weller-fahy.com>
Date: Wed Sep 12 2012 - 18:38:31 AKDT

Note: I've not been ignoring you, but unfortunately my fun-meter was
pegged with finals et al. ;)

* Christopher Howard <christopher.howard@frigidcode.com> [2012-09-07 20:51 -0400]:
> On 09/07/2012 03:40 PM, David J. Weller-Fahy wrote:
> > Also, do we care about web forms to sign up for a mailing list? Or
> > is straight, "email a special address with commands to get it done,"
> > sufficient?
>
> Web forms are a big plus in the long run, on account of:
>
> 1) They are a lot more appealing to the "Linux-noob" types who might
> want to join the list, and

Hadn't thought of that particular wrinkle, although I was planning on
having a web page with links to the appropriate addresses. A good
point.

> 2) It's very handy to be able to access all your personal list
> settings (daily-batch-mail, receive-own-messages, attachment settings,
> and so forth) on a single Web page and set them all at once.

Hrm... I'm not sure this necessarily follows (the software I've used,
ezmlm, allows you to set individual configuration items via email - you
don't have to set everything at once), however I could see how having a
web page would be useful.

> I'm not sure which software you are looking into, but if there isn't
> really good integration available between the e-mail component and an
> existing Web component, you probably want to look at different
> software. I'd recommend doing as /little/ hand-coding as possible.
> (Plenty of time for hacking and customization projects later...)

ezmlm-idx is what I've used up until now, but now I believe I may be
moving over into the Mailman camp (not having to mess with something is
a big bonus when doing grad school).

... And speaking of Mailman: Please take a look at the following mailing
list, and let me know what you think.

http://aklug.caterva.org

The URL above should take you to a list of mailing lists on the
aklug.caterva.org domain (one: the aklug-test list). Feel free to
subscribe, play, and let me know what you think of the setup. Note that
a new list would be created to replace the old mailing list IFF
AKLUG decides to move, and the archives can be imported to mailman to
make sure none of the history is lost. Please let me know if you find
anything broken, so I can fix it!

Right now I've left most things default until I get a feel for what list
members people would want.

Let me know what you think!

Regards,
- --