[aklug] Re: Gigabit switches

From: Damien Hull <dhull@section9.us>
Date: Sat Aug 11 2012 - 14:17:57 AKDT

Is this for your home network?

A managed switch gives you control over vlan's and spanning tree.
Unless you plan on deviding up broadcast domains I wouldn't spend the
extra cash. Just get a gigabit switch of some kind. That's where the
speed is at.

And yes, I know someone will say smaller bradcast domains will improve
performance. I don't think anyones home network has enough hosts to
see a difference.