[aklug] Re: IPv6 Local Link emergency access trick

From: Shane Spencer <shane@bogomip.com>
Date: Thu Jul 26 2012 - 15:14:22 AKDT

On Thu, Jul 26, 2012 at 11:22 AM, barsalou <barjunk@attglobal.net> wrote:

>> Also.. more proof that static IPs > DHCP static allocations.
>>

> Shane,
>
> I'm interested to hear more about your opinion and what you are saying
> with the above statement.
>
> Mike B.

The short and simple. Static IPs are static and unchanging. If you
run out of disk space and your DHCP client dies.. you don't have a
problem. If you accidentally reconfigure to another Static IP.. it's
just another static IP.. if you have to re-install your DHCP server
and forget to put in static hosts then you don't have a problem cause
you don't rely on it.

As for the public facing side... you don't have to worry about the
wonky methods used to provide static IPs over DHCP if they can provide
straight Static.

That's about all there is to say.

As for the method of using LL to get back in to your system.. ever
accidentally deconfigured your IPv4 address regardless of DHCP? I
have.. works great for dealing with that as well.

- Shane