[aklug] Re: IPv6 benefits me...

From: Christopher Howard <christopher.howard@frigidcode.com>
Date: Mon Jun 11 2012 - 12:39:02 AKDT

On 06/06/2012 02:29 PM, David M. Syzdek wrote:
> Christopher,
>
> Even though ACS and GCI do not currently offer IPv6, you can still
> enable public IPv6 access on your network using a tunnel broker
> such as Hurricane Electric or SixXS. I am currently using Hurricane
> Electric on an ACS DSL and am using the assigned /64 to provide
> IPv6 addresses to all of my workstations and servers. I've had it
> configured for a while now and both my Linux and OS X boxes are
> able to seamless switch between IPv4 and IPv6 depending upon the
> website.
>
> Here are the providers I use to enable IPv6:
>
> * Hurricane Electric Tunnel Brokering Service (IPv6 addresses for
> home network) o SixXS - I used their brokering service a few years
> back, however Hurricane Electric seemed easier to set-up and was
> less militant about forcing IPv6 use. * GKG Domain Registrar
> (allows IPv6 & IPv4 glue records on the same name server host
> record) o GoDaddy - Also has IPv6 Glue records, but I am boycotting
> due to political reasons o Namescheap - allow either IPv6 or IPv4
> records on individual glue records (so had to use hostname names
> like ns41.bindlebinaries.com <http://ns41.bindlebinaries.com>,
> ns42.bindlebinaries.com <http://ns42.bindlebinaries.com>,
> ns61.bindlebinaries.com <http://ns61.bindlebinaries.com>, and
> ns62.bindlebinaries to define two glue records for IPv4 and IPv6. *
> Linode (provides IPv6 and IPv4 addresses for Linux VPS services
> (and Slackware Images))
>
> It took a little trial and error to figure things out and some time
> to read through documentation, however I am greatly looking forward
> to the day when I can turn off IPv4. Having a large supply of
> routable IP addresses is outstanding when turning up many LXC
> containers for testing various services.
>
> Even though remote tunnel brokers work well enough, they do bog
> down a little when passing lots of traffic. It would be nice if
> ACS and GCI would either offer native IPv6 or provide local tunnel
> brokers for better performance.
>
> --David M. Syzdek

So, trying to make sure I understand how things work: Currently my
desktop computers and servers are behind a standard ACS DSL
configuration with NAT, using port-forwarding to expose some of the
servers through the single IP address belong to the router.

Through a tunnel broker, I could give all my machines access to the
IPv6 network, and all the servers could have static IPv6 addresses.
However, those addresses would only be accessible to those who had
also hooked up to the IPv6 network, which presumably excludes a lot of
people who, like myself, have an ISP that does not provide IPv6
service or have not yet gone to the trouble of tunnelling into it. So,
in order to keep my servers "public", I would still have to keep them
connected to the IPv4 network. And this means that the IPv6 connection
would be pretty much superfluous, correct?

- --
frigidcode.com
indicium.us