[aklug] Re: IPv6 benefits me...

From: David M. Syzdek <david@syzdek.net>
Date: Wed Jun 06 2012 - 14:29:36 AKDT

Christopher,
Even though ACS and GCI do not currently offer IPv6, you can still enable
public IPv6 access on your network using a tunnel broker such as Hurricane
Electric or SixXS. I am currently using Hurricane Electric on an ACS DSL
and am using the assigned /64 to provide IPv6 addresses to all of my
workstations and servers. I've had it configured for a while now and both
my Linux and OS X boxes are able to seamless switch between IPv4 and IPv6
depending upon the website.

Here are the providers I use to enable IPv6:

   - Hurricane Electric Tunnel Brokering Service (IPv6 addresses for home
   network)
      - SixXS - I used their brokering service a few years back, however
      Hurricane Electric seemed easier to set-up and was less militant about
      forcing IPv6 use.
   - GKG Domain Registrar (allows IPv6 & IPv4 glue records on the same name
   server host record)
      - GoDaddy - Also has IPv6 Glue records, but I am boycotting due to
      political reasons
      - Namescheap - allow either IPv6 or IPv4 records on individual glue
      records (so had to use hostname names like ns41.bindlebinaries.com,
      ns42.bindlebinaries.com, ns61.bindlebinaries.com, and
      ns62.bindlebinaries to define two glue records for IPv4 and IPv6.
   - Linode (provides IPv6 and IPv4 addresses for Linux VPS services (and
   Slackware Images))

It took a little trial and error to figure things out and some time to read
through documentation, however I am greatly looking forward to the day when
I can turn off IPv4. Having a large supply of routable IP addresses is
outstanding when turning up many LXC containers for testing various
services.

Even though remote tunnel brokers work well enough, they do bog down a
little when passing lots of traffic. It would be nice if ACS and GCI would
either offer native IPv6 or provide local tunnel brokers for better
performance.

--David M. Syzdek

On Wed, Jun 6, 2012 at 10:18 AM, Christopher Howard <