[aklug] Re: Ubuntu/Unity : was Re: Re: (no subject)

From: David Prentice <ak.prentice@gmail.com>
Date: Fri Jun 08 2012 - 10:26:42 AKDT

Ubuntu 12.04 has Gnome. It doesn't have Metacity. Therefore it doesn't
have the same windowing environment that many people associate with
Gnome. Gnome is still there.

Before Metacity, Gnome commonly shipped with Enlightenment. Some
people still like Enlightenment. Some people still like Metacity.

Currently, Ubuntu ships Gnome with Unity instead of Metacity, but the
"old gnome look" is still there in hiding waiting to be installed.

sudo apt-get install gnome-panel

Then logoff and from the Unity Greeter panel, change your session
preference to "Gnome Classic".

On Thu, Jun 7, 2012 at 7:38 AM, Tim Johnson <tim@akwebsoft.com> wrote:
> * Doug Davey <doug.davey@gmail.com> [120607 07:16]:
>> 11.10 is the first Ubuntu release that doesn't have Gnome as a fall back=
,
>> it is Unity only. =A0There is a newer version out, 12.04, which is a "LT=
S"
>> version. =A0This stands for "Long Term Support" and is meant to be a sta=
ble,
>> long term version. =A0It is likely a better choice.
> =A0I recently installed 12.04 on my backup box (currently doing
> =A0development on mac mini) I like it for performance, but unity is a
> =A0new ball game. There are instructions available for setting up
> =A0icons on the desktop,
> =A0http://www.liberiangeek.net/2012/04/add-application-shortcuts-to-your-=
desktop-in-ubuntu-12-04-precise-pangolin/