[aklug] Re: Routers that have DHCP reservation enabled

From: Jim Gribbin <jimgribbin@gmail.com>
Date: Mon May 21 2012 - 10:07:18 AKDT

I thought they pretty much all did any more, but just to be safe, I'd look
for something that supports dd-wrt or open-wrt.
If you're looking for something inexpensive. I've been using a dlink dir601
I picked up from the local offrice supply about a year ago for abt $30.

I don't remember if the stock firmware supported DHCP reservasions ir not,
but the stock firmware had stablility problems. I didn't originally plan on
changing the firmware when I bought it, but when I had the stability
problem, I looked.

DD-WRT has been running on it ever since. No stability issues and dd-wrt
definently supports reservasions. It's been running pretty much 24/7 ever
since.

The dir601 is not particularly long range, but that's part of why I got it.
It's just for my personal use wwith a couple of devices and only needs to
cover a couple of rooms. I never need it more than 50 to 75 ft away.

Jim G