[aklug] Re: Routers that have DHCP reservation enabled

From: Greg Madden <gomadtroll@gci.net>
Date: Mon May 21 2012 - 09:52:53 AKDT

On Monday 21 May 2012 9:36:48 am Tim Johnson wrote:
> * Joshua J. Kugler <joshua@eeinternet.com> [120521 09:15]:
> > On Monday, May 21, 2012, Tim Johnson elucidated thus:
> > > I have a linksys WRT54G2 router.
> > >
> > > I'm looking for something of similar capacity (with wireless) that
> > > supports DHCP reservation.
> > >
> > > Any recommendations?
> >
> > Is this router supported by OpenWRT? I believe OpenWRT runs dnsmasq,
>
> Not sure. Sorry.
>
> > which has a built-in DHCP server that allows you to specify in the
> > config file what MAC addresses get which IPs. Is that what you mean by
> > "reservations?"
>
> I'm getting out of my scope here, but from what I have seen, many
> routers now offer the feature of being able to map MAC addresses
> to specific IP addresses so that individual nodes are given the
> same IP addresses each time they connect. And there is an
> interface that is provide by the router itself to do that mapping.
>
> Since I am due for a new router before long, I'm guessing, I would
> prefer to find a router that provided it directly.
>
> Hope I've been a little clearer.
> thanks

It has been a while since I shopped so.... some routers: Buffalo, came with
DD-WRT. I am using DD-WRT v24-sp2, on a Linksys 54GL v1.1, The DD-WRT terminology
is 'Static Leases'.

I had terrible results from using Linksys firmware, even upgrades to the firmware,
hence finding OpenWRT & DD-WRT. These firmwares worked much better and have more
feaures than a typical consumer grade router, still have consumer chipsets, my
Linksys uses the Broadcom chip...junk :-)

It is worrth reading the OpenWRT & DD-WRT web sites &(esp) forums.

--
Peace,
Greg