[aklug] Re: more Apache Open Office

From: Jim Gribbin <jimgribbin@gmail.com>
Date: Tue May 15 2012 - 12:59:02 AKDT

On Tue, 2012-05-15 at 07:15 -0500, Bruce Hill wrote:
> On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 09:34:51PM -0800, Jim Gribbin wrote:
> >
> > Same could be said about some other projects out there and is much of
> > what is holding back Linux. Forks upon forks upon forks.
> >
> > Jim G
>
> Some might disagree that "forks are holding back Linux." Especially since you
> didn't qualify what you meant by "Linux".
It uses (is based upon) the Linux Kernel

> Forks are often good ... especially when times that upstream goes bonkers,
> like Jorge Schilling did with cdrecord, and Linus Torvalds and Jens Axbode
> rescued us from him. <:-)}
There are times it may be necessary. But I think what is often more
productive is a consolidation of effort. as opposed to spreading
valuable resources too thinly.

> Too many other examples to name, but maybe the history of Apache itself is
> one.
I was under the impression Apache was begun as competition to, and not a
fork of, what else was out there. That it's original core was from a
government funded university project. NCSA.

Jim G