[aklug] Re: more Apache Open Office

From: Jim Gribbin <jimgribbin@gmail.com>
Date: Mon May 14 2012 - 21:34:51 AKDT

Fedora, as near as I can tell, is ignoring AOO. Can't really blame them.
They made the decision on which way to take F16 back when OO's
programmers were laid off by Oracle and everyone thought OO would be
gone in a matter of weeks. Once you've committed to a course, it's not
always that easy to change.

F15 has also been upgraded to LO. This kind of surprised me. I figured
they'd depreciated F15 and would only be doing security upgrades now. It
was likely the same thought train here as well. F15 was too recent and
needed to be supported for a while longer and they probably didn't want
to divide their people across two projects.

I suppose Debian was likely in the same position.

I personally would prefer that everyone got behind one and took it
forward. I don't know that I care which. The current situation is just
spreading resources too thin.

Same could be said about some other projects out there and is much of
what is holding back Linux. Forks upon forks upon forks.

Thought this video from Linuxfest NW was interesting.
http://youtu.be/Sh-cnaJoGCw

Jim G