[aklug] Upgrading Xubuntu 10.04 to 12.04

From: barsalou <barjunk@attglobal.net>
Date: Sun Apr 29 2012 - 21:02:49 AKDT

Thought folks might be interested in how upgrading from 10.04 to 12.04 went.

The official release happened on the 26th.

The plan includes using the update-manager gui tool. Since most folks
I would talk to about upgrading would likely use that tool, having
first hand knowledge of issues seemed appropriate.

Here are the links for documents that were followed:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PrecisePangolin/ReleaseNotes/Xubuntu
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PreciseUpgrades

Other reading indicating that removing "third-party" repositories may
be helpful for a successful upgrade.

Somewhere there was a reference to needing 5G, since the system is set
up with LVM it occurred to me that this 5G would be spread over
several of the mount points. On this system they are:

/
/boot
/home
/tmp
/usr
/var

/var was initially used to store the packages that were being and
needed approximately 1Gig up until the point it needed a reboot to =20
complete the install.

The install was started at 11am and finished about 3 hours later =20
including downloading and answering questions about the install, which =20
config files to keep or change, etc.

After the reboot and subsequent issues it took the following:

/var - 1Gig
/usr - 300Mb
/tmp, /boot and / actually reduced in size

The only thing that makes sense to me is that the 5Gig was referring =20
to a Desktop upgrade and not for the Xubuntu version that is being =20
used on this box.

Errors that I ran into:

Warning: Mirror file cannot be read

This seems like an issue with one of the repositories that are in the
sources file. It doesn't say which one. Didn't seem to affect =20
anything in an obvious way.

At one point there was a prompt to reboot to complete the install, =20
however, this resulted in getting dumped into the Grub prompt....bummer.

For whatever reason, it didn't like the fact that I had a separate lvm =20
for root and boot so I needed to issue the following commands to =20
initially get the system up and running:

set root=3D(rootvg-lvboot) # this is where the kernel and initrd images were
linux /vmlinuz-3.2.0-24-generic root=3D/dev/mapper/rootvg-lvroot # this =20
is / part
initrd /initrd-3.2.0-24-generic

Keep note that the / was required in front of the vmlinuz and initrd =20
file names

After the system came up, I re-installed grub using the proper =20
grub-install command.

It seems to be working and the VirtualBox setup upgraded without any hassle.

If any other issues pop up, I'll post more info.

Good luck if you are thinking of doing this.

Mike B.