[aklug] Re: FTP server

From: R Denison <gaijin@gci.net>
Date: Sun Apr 29 2012 - 11:57:58 AKDT

On 04/23/2012 03:28 PM, Christopher Howard wrote:
> Hey guys, I was planning to set up an FTP server to centralize all the
> conglomeration of stuff I've uploaded to my Web site. Before doing any
> research of my own, I was curious if any of you had any strong
> preferences for a particular ftpd package, and why. Easy of
> configuration, and lightweight operation, are higher up on my list of
> priorities, but I'm open minded.

Used both ProFTPd and VSFTPd. Pro is nice for large hosting
environments where you might set up multiple virtual hosts / users, and
has a log of features aimed at that environment. VSFTPd isn't as
flexible in that regard, but is straight forward to manage and aims to
be secure as their primary goal; for what it's worth I generally stick
with VSFTPd these days because I don't need the features Pro provides.

R.