[aklug] Re: Postfix and acs

From: Kevin Miller <atftb2@alaska.net>
Date: Sat Apr 07 2012 - 21:26:49 AKDT

On 04/07/2012 09:00 PM, Sean Crites wrote:
> I didn't want to give the impression that we (ACS) never block ports for
> subscribers; only informing of the premise in which we would. And yes,
> we (ACS) have quarantined users to find out later that they are pure
> Linux or Mac household/offices.

Nope, didn't get that impression, and I fully concur with the policy.
An awful lot of the compromised systems aren't infected at all. It
seems a lot of spam and such is the result of phishing and social
engineering. I see a lot from yahoo and hotmail - one has to assume
they're pretty focused on patching and such, but all it takes is for
some user to have a weak password or post his credentials to "your
webmail team" and wham, spam city!

Unfortunately, you can't patch stupid!

> Keeping up on those patches and security updates is an OS independent
> task. :)

Very true.

> Awesome that you got your system notifications to work.

Yes, thanks again.

...Kevin

--
Kevin Miller - http://www.alaska.net/~atftb