[aklug] Re: Postfix and acs

From: Kevin Miller <atftb2@alaska.net>
Date: Sat Apr 07 2012 - 20:47:39 AKDT

On 04/07/2012 12:21 PM, bdk wrote:
> ACS will allow relaying from their IP address space regardless of the
> MAIL FROM address provided it is a valid route-able domain so in the
> case that an NDR does need to be sent to the originator, it can get
> delivered.

That makes sense.

> ACS doesn't block ports for users by default. If you end up getting
> quarantined for having an infected or malicious host on your system then
> that is different and ports are blocked until the owner can remedy the
> situation.

Infected host? This is Linux, not some backwater Windows machine! <g>

> Kevin, you don't need to use outbound SMTP authentication. Maybe Postfix
> is trying first without and succeeding which is good.
>
> There should be an option within Postfix that will mutate the FROM
> locally routable address to something that will play well with servers
> not on your network. I don't use Postfix on my network but I suspect
> that that is what you'll need to look for.

Yes, your 2nd post (inserted below) pointed me in the right direction.
==========
Kevin, found what will get ya (at least your emails) moving:
http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/howto-postfix-masquerade-change-email-mail-address.html
or http://goo.gl/Q2KvS
==========

I rolled back the SASL stuff, and edited my generic table, and it all
works like I want it to now. I'll just drop a .forward file in my root
directory, and system notices should land in my alaska.net account.

> Whether you relay (smart-host?) through ACS or you choose to act as an
> MTA and send directly, you'll need a valid return address on the email.
>
> HTH.

It does indeed. Thanks much...

...Kevin

--