[aklug] Re: Gnu/Linux evangelism with wrong numbers

From: Tim Johnson <tim@akwebsoft.com>
Date: Fri Apr 06 2012 - 16:07:46 AKDT

* Michael Fowler <michael@shoebox.net> [120406 15:54]:
> > Funny story: I keep getting phone calls from a Windows tech-support
> > guy in India. Microsoft apparently has a wrong number and thinks I
> > have some unresolved Windows problem.
>
> It's a scam. I humored one once and he had me start poking around for
> some random Windows thing that could be confusing enough to be construed
> as exhibiting Bad Symptoms. Their ultimate goal is to have you buy and
> install malware.
>
> Microsoft has put out alerts, and I believe Slashdot covered it some
> time back.

  I received something similar. Three phone calls, asking for me,
  then my wife, then my brother by name. The caller claimed that we
  were running M$ servers that were doing naughty things in
  cyberspace.

  When I told the caller that we didn't use any M$ boxes
  here and didn't do any serving from my static IP and then
  wondered outload if this wasn't a scam, the caller said :
  "this is no f***ing scam". Well, so much for a case number and a
  site to verify it! And I couldn't even imagine a Microsoft Tech
  using that kind of language.

  cheers

--
Tim