[aklug] Re: video system questions

From: James <jamestweet@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue Feb 21 2012 - 09:54:07 AKST

On Monday, February 20, 2012 02:57:32 PM Greg Madden wrote:
> I need some help, or directions to good info, on my video subsystem
>
> These days pdf files have pretty much replaced paper, for me. This means I
> get construction drawings, 34x22 mostly, in sets or induvidually. This is
> causing me to notice more time waiting for images to render. The pdf files
> are mostly 1-4MB in size.
>
> I have fair amount of resources on my sysmtem, quad core & 8Gb of memory, I
> don't use swap but the memory cache is used a lot. This brings me to
> figuring out if my video system could be better.
>
> I use a Nvidia Quadro dual head 256mb of memory, low by todays standards.
>
> The following error message is from 'mupdf' failed attempt to render a page.
> I also have available 'epdfview, evince, & kpdf'. None of the latter have
> the error mesage and render at different speeds, kpdf seems faster, evince
> has some feaures I like.
>
> Where to look for speed improvements ? Thanks.
>
> pabi@myetch:~$ warning: pixmap memory exceeds soft limit 248M + 233M > 256M
> + pdf/pdf_image.c:168: pdf_load_image_imp(): out of memory
>
> | pdf/pdf_image.c:349: pdf_load_image(): cannot load image (3 0 R)
> | pdf/pdf_interpret.c:1432: pdf_run_Do(): cannot load image (3 0 R)
>
> \ pdf/pdf_interpret.c:2029: pdf_run_keyword(): cannot draw xobject/image

What kind of slot is your video card plugged into? If you are using an old
card plugged into a "PCI" slot. You will see a huge improvement in speed if
you buy a newer card that plugges into a "PCI express" slot.

I currently have a ASUS GeForce 210 1GB 64-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 card
that is quite excellent for the $35 bucks I spent on it.