[aklug] Re: Tor + Firefox

From: R Denison <gaijin@gci.net>
Date: Tue Feb 14 2012 - 00:35:20 AKST

On 02/13/2012 01:30 AM, Christopher Howard wrote:

> Do any of you all use Tor + Firefox (or another browser) for privacy?
> If so, how do you do it? (torify from command-line, browser
> plug-in...?)

When I used Tor, it was generally part of a proxy chain: privoxy ->
squid -> tor on the server side, with Firefox & FoxyProxy on the client
pointing at the listening port of the privoxy instance. When I'm
looking for privacy remotely I run everything over an SSH tunnel from a
laptop to a home box.

Truth be told I don't run tor much these days, mostly due to
inconvenience. And if I understand correctly there's the potential
that, unless you're getting SSL connection to your destination server,
it's subject to MITM modification at the exit node(s).

As an add-on, here's a question: anyone running an exit node? How are
you addressing the problem of someone hitting sites with high
probability of attracting unwanted attentions from the State? I could
see it being useful to generate a bunch of potentially random traffic
from your particular address without having to script something up, but
I'm not interested in providing some pedo access to his "fix".

R.