[aklug] Re: Linux/Unix VM's for Demonstration.

From: Christopher Howard <christopher.howard@frigidcode.com>
Date: Sun Feb 12 2012 - 07:45:08 AKST

On 02/12/2012 06:58 AM, Jim MacDonald wrote:

> So my question for the group that I would like help with is
> twofold: 1, Of all the multitude of Linux distros available, what
> are some of = the most unique (and specialized) that are available
> that I can use to = demonstrate how versatile Linux is?

The most versatile is Gentoo, which is a meta-distribution which can
become pretty much whatever the heck you can imagine. (Desktop,
server, cluster, router, et cetera.)

The Web site seems to be down, but another cool one was tinycore Linux:

http://www.tinycorelinux.com/

Used it back in the day for PXEboot. The entire OS fits into like 10MB
of space and is loaded directly into RAM instead of running off disk.

You might get extra points for showing off other unixes, as well. I
run OpenBSD and Minix3 under Qemu. And don't forget Plan 9 and Inferno
OS, which claim to take unix to its highest ideals.

> 2. Help with a simple demonstration of the classic statement "Gnu's
> Not = Unix". I.E. help me explain as simply as possible why Linux
> and Unix are = so similar but are entirely different animals.
>
> Thanks for taking the time to read my long winded output, and I
> would = appreciate any creative/constructive input.
>
> Jim MacDonald jim@macdonald.org

Gnu/Linux really doesn't properly belong in the System 4/5 family or
the BSD family, at least in an exclusive sense. As far as general
category, it belongs in the Gnu family, as it is the only system that
was driven by the Gnu ideals (FOSS) from the very beginning. As far as
programming interfaces is concerned, Gnu/Linux is POSIX.1 + POSIX.2 +
SUS2 + X/Open + SysV + BSD + Gnu. In other words, it provides API
compatibility with POSIX (all unixes), System 5 (AT&T unix), BSD unix,
the X/Open portability guide, and the special Gnu-only sources (i.e.,
the stuff Stallman wanted but no body else recognized as a standard).

Also see this nifty graph from Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Unix_history.svg

- --
frigidcode.com
theologia.indicium.us