[aklug] Re: bash sucks

From: Arthur Corliss <acorliss@nevaeh-linux.org>
Date: Fri Feb 03 2012 - 19:42:10 AKST

On Fri, 3 Feb 2012, Christopher Howard wrote:

> Too late. Your depressing and uninspiring response took me down...
> like a rock. I'll just go back to my regular nightmares about [[ $- !=
> *i* ]] and if/fi statements. I've resigned myself as a eternal
> prisoner of that ever vicious "popularity == portability" trap.

Well, if you want to keep the dream alive you'll have to go into full
advocacy mold. Start talking up the superiority of tcsh, perhaps create
your own distribution that offers only tcsh and replaces all the existing
bourne/bash scripts with tcsh variants, etc. Give people ample evidence to
sway them to your side. Perhaps over time there'll be a new portable
standard.

It'll be an uphill climb, but that's exactly what's been done with new
programming languages like python, ruby, etc. How strongly do you believe
in your cause?

         --Arthur Corliss
           Live Free or Die