[aklug] Re: It's going down...

From: Aaron A. <akbeancounter@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed Jan 18 2012 - 10:16:50 AKST

Christopher Howard <christopher.howard@frigidcode.com> said:=0A=0A> [Wikipe=
dia] just inserted=0A> some JavaScript onto their pages which makes them ap=
pear to have shut=0A> down.=0A=0A> Kind of an ineffective way to do a "blac=
kout", in my humble opinion.=0A> Oh well... at least it should draw some at=
tention to the SOPA/PIPA=0A> bills, even if only for a few minutes.=0A=0AMa=
ybe that's all they need to do.=A0 For every tech journalist or programmer,=
 there could be hundreds of users who keep hearing about this SOPA thing, b=
ut don't really know what it is or why they should care.=A0 My little siste=
r wouldn't care that redd.it is considered a foreign site under the bill, n=
or would she fully understand that due process is given only a quick handwa=
ve; if you're not doing anything wrong, what's the problem?=A0 However, I c=
ould quickly get her onboard by explaining that=A0her entire website could =
effectively be erased from the Web, with little notice or recourse,=A0becau=
se one of her paintings resembles a character from a TV show.