[aklug] FriLinux

From: Jim Gribbin <jimgribbin@gmail.com>
Date: Sat Nov 26 2011 - 23:34:57 AKST

Not much happened last night. Just Stan, a new guy (I'm terrible w/
names), and myself.

Stan was trying to get his VariCAD libraries figured out. I think he
made some progress.

I was tinkering w/ F16 on my old Dell C830 laptop, Amazingly enough it
seems to have enough video horsepower for Gnome 3.2. I think just
barely. Only have the Nouveau nVida drivers as support for the old
Gforce4 goes away. This means no GLX so I can no longer run Google
Earth, probably other stuff as well.

I suspect unless I want to compile my own kernel w/ kmod-nvidia-96xx
support, I'll have to do without. More work than I care to do right now.

The new guy was just checking things out. He did sign up for the list,
but I don't see any posts as yet. He did have a laptop with him, but
never fired it up.

He did point me towards something called Jupiter Broadcasting,
http://www.jupiterbroadcasting.com. Seems to be mostly geek-centric HD
video, I don't think any of it's flash.

Jupiter apparently got started with something called The Linux Action
Show back in 2008. I had never heard of it nor seen anything posted
here, so ...

Jim G