[aklug] Re: Linux help for a UAA student

From: Jason McEachen <jason@brightshinyobject.com>
Date: Mon Nov 07 2011 - 20:39:29 AKST

I just had to compile some RTL network drivers for ubuntu 11.10 the
other day on a brand new machine. Turns out the install mis-indentifies
the driver needed for the nic/wifi card. Not how I wanted to spend my
first day at work, much less trying to high-light the first linux box in
a mac office, but it was fun none the less once I got it figured out

--Jason

On 11/06/2011 07:06 PM, Jim Gribbin wrote:
> Did you find anyone yet? I could take a shot at it.
>
> What's he running any? It seems kind of odd anymore when someone has to
> compile drivers for a network connection nowadays.
>
> Jim G
> 907-229-5085
>
> On Sun, 2011-11-06 at 09:51 -0900, Joshua J. Kugler wrote:
>> I have a friend attending UAA who is having some trouble with his
>> network connection on his laptop (wireless). We're past the point where
>> I can help him over the phone, and he is having trouble with his
>> hardwired connection too, so I can't even log in and help that way. Is
>> there somebody who would be willing to meet up with him and troubleshoot
>> the connection? We have the driver compiled, and installed, we just need
>> to figure out the name of the driver (.ko) so we can add it to
>> /etc/modules.

btw - In an effort to promote more efficient Email communications, I've begun using the following abbreviations in my email Subject lines, and recommend it if you want to organize and prioritize your inbox
OpenSubject: for efficient mail
NRN: No Reply Necessary
RYN: Reply with 'Yes' or 'No'
AYQ: Answering Your question
ATC: Attachement is important
1QM: One Question Message
MQM: Multiple Question Message
FYA: For your Archive
FYI: For your information (NRN)
WFR: Waiting for your Reply/Advice/Permission
AET: Answer Expected Today/this Week/within a Month
RAF: Read and Forward (jokes, quotes, interesting)