[aklug] Re: ntp multicast client config on redhat 5?

From: Arthur Corliss <acorliss@nevaeh-linux.org>
Date: Fri Nov 04 2011 - 16:15:48 AKDT

On Fri, 4 Nov 2011, techno curmudgeon wrote:

> I'm trying to get ntp multicast client working on some redhat 5 boxes
> downsec of an ASA firewall. The ntp servers are on the inside interface of
> the ASA, and the ASA is configured to pass the multicast. I have ntp
> authentication disabled until I get it all working. iptables is not active
> on the redhat client boxes right now either. Everything's set to ACCEPT.
> The ciscos I have on the downsec side of the ASA are all recieving the
> multicast ntp and synced up.

<snip>

> So, as I'm reading the above, the multicasts are coming in the nic. The
> ntpd client is listening, but nothing is happening. I'm open to suggestions
> as to what's going on, or something to try.

I'll probably get flamed for not reading your post in depth, but one thing a
lot of people forget about when dealing with multicast networks is adding a
route to that network on your box. What does 'netstat -rn' show you?
Anything to 224.0.0.0? If not, you need to add it before it'll actually get
up the stack.

         --Arthur Corliss
           Live Free or Die