[aklug] Re: How You Know When It?s Time to Switch to Linux

From: Tim Johnson <tim@akwebsoft.com>
Date: Wed Oct 26 2011 - 14:30:34 AKDT

* Jeremy Austin <jhaustin@gmail.com> [111026 14:18]:
> On Wed, Oct 26, 2011 at 1:48 PM, Tim Johnson <tim@akwebsoft.com> wrote:
> >
> > Product Dimensions: 7.7 x 1.4 x 7.7 inches ; 2.7 pounds
>
> OK, I'm stepping in now. Hope this isn't too off-topic.
>
> I too don't see the sweet spot the Mini is supposed to hit. [disclaimer:
  sh...! I'm not having sex with my mini...

> former Mini owner, no problems] That is, *other than price*. The real
> competition for the Mini, as I see it, is not the iMac [for those who own
> good screen/s already], since an iMac = mini + more power + good LCD. And
> it's not mini PCs, because, well, Tim mentioned it. Few mini PCs, if any,
> have the build quality of the Mini, which must be taken into account when
> pricing.
  I have no complaints with the display. I am using an LG with dvi..

> But. If small size is the goal, I don't see why one wouldn't buy a
> Macbook/Air? although in Tim's case, he needs the extra storage for running
> multiple OSes, and being limited by flash memory might put a cramp in it.

  I didn't want a laptop. I got one. I wanted something with the
  footprint that I described. I didn't want something that was
  all-in-one either.

  Also, when I first looked into getting a mini (prior to the 2011).
  I was told to wait for the 2011, and I am hearing that there is a
  performance boost over the previous.

  Don't get hit with that pillow.

--
Tim