[aklug] Re: large scale wireless question

From: Tom Simes <simestd@netexpress.com>
Date: Wed Oct 19 2011 - 14:24:32 AKDT

On 10/19/11 13:58, Bruce Hill wrote:

> Thanks for all the quick replies!
>
> It's really a mess ... looks like some know-only-a-little guy like me did
> it to begin with. He has a Comcast business class router, a NetGear
> switch/hub/router (didn't pay attention because I think he needs to redo
> it all), and three APs. I've never seen the one on the outside and will
> have to Google it tomorrow. The two in the hallways on the second floor
> were in boxen with two antennas sticking out that had silicon to hold them
> in place. He has two more of those outside antennas (TR-6015f) and two
> home class Buffalo wireless routers he's bought.
>
> I'm nothing more than a novice at networking anyway (Arthur is tutoring me
> through Networking Part I, II, and III so far), but this guy has problems.
> He also has a letter from Comcast where someone had violated their terms
> of service regarding privacy ... they used bittorent and downloaded "Conan
> the Barbarian"? Some video I think. He's also having problems with
> bandwidth sharing. His plan calls for 16MB down and 2MB up. If it's like
> my 8/2 he doesn't get it. Comcast is reselling AT&T because there is no
> fibre to this city yet.
>
> Anyway ... I've got to leave, but tomorrow when I get my thoughts
> together. He wants to add three more APs ... one more of the TR-6015f
> things and one of the Buffalo routers ... don't think that's a good
> solution.
>
> Thanks,
> Bruce

Pretty small potatoes from a device management perspective. It probably
won't make you much as a consultant, but might save your sanity if you
were to suggest he outsource to one of the hot spot management
providers. Spin it as improving guest services and possibly breaking
even or a little better on his network costs.

No personal experience, but here's a claimed all-in-one that is
apparently based on the old Chilispot implementation.

http://www.hotspotsystem.com/

Basically all that's needed is a DSL connection and special firmware for
a WRT54GL or other compatible router.

--
Tom