[aklug] Re: FSF taking up arms against Secure Boot

From: Shane R. Spencer <shane@bogomip.com>
Date: Wed Oct 19 2011 - 09:14:40 AKDT

I hope it's another one of these problems: http://xkcd.com/221/

That would at least make it easier to deal with later on.

Signed binaries are becoming the norm on mobile platforms (kernel/vm managed) and on
gaming platforms. Microsoft is just looking to the future as always and finding ways to
make our recycling system even more overloaded.

Above all else is our environment. I find this to be an eco disaster if hardware
providers don't provide a method to void warranty and turn off protection. How many
million units will be deployed that will only work for.. 3 years?.. under a single
operating system. It would be through <sarcasm>pure generosity</sarcasm> that Microsoft
will enable newer operating systems to cope with older hardware at this point in order to
run the most recent software.

Guess where millions of computers will end up if Microsoft DOESN'T release new software
after 3 years that keeps a good feature set with newer platforms? The Eagle River Dump.

- Shane