[aklug] Re: Hams?

From: Mike Tibor <tibor@tibor.org>
Date: Tue Oct 04 2011 - 13:01:27 AKDT

On Tue, 4 Oct 2011, Christopher Howard wrote:

> On 10/04/2011 09:49 AM, Mike Tibor wrote:
>
>> One thing I'll point out is that you don't need a license for Morse code.
>> It used to be that you needed to learn it in order to get your HAM
>> license, but that's no longer the case for any of the license levels.
>>

> Do you mean I don't need to take the Morse code test in order to
> (legally) broadcast Morse code, or just that I don't need it to
> broadcast voice? I already have to the Tech license, I just didn't take
> the Morse test because I didn't think I'd ever want to broadcast Morse.
> (Now I do.)

Actually both. As a Tech class you have small parts of the bands where
you are allowed to transmit CW. If I remember right you just can't
transmit voice on the HF bands with the Tech license. You might be able
to talk in a part of the 10m band, but I can't recall. The General class
license allows you access to most of the HF bands, in voice and digital
modes, but again there's no CW test.

> I'm actually in Fairbanks, but I think there is a club that meets at UAF
> once in a while. So I'll look into that.

Oops, my mistake--I'd assumed you were near Anchorage. I think the UAF
club is pretty active, but I don't know anyone in it.

Mike