[aklug] Re: Hams?

From: Jim Courtney <courtney@ieee.org>
Date: Thu Sep 29 2011 - 20:20:40 AKDT

It's a good bet what the old-timer wants is access to the HF bands. A
friend of mine in San Diego has a newer Ten-Tec radio that has an
ethernet interface and a (Windows) client program. He gave me a login so
I could try it out. I tuned my radio downstairs to something like
14.010MHz and turned up the volume. I went back upstairs, tuned the
Ten-Tec client program (running under VirtualBox) for 14.010MHz, set the
mode for CW, and typed on the keyboard. I could hear the faint morse
code coming up from San Diego on the radio, delayed by a fraction of a
second. I tried it in the other direction with equal success.

I once heard about a ham radio club that has a station in Hawaii that is
built with remote operation in mind, with the members scattered around
the country. I looked but couldn't find any info about it.

Alternatively - people can get very creative stringing antennas up
inside small residential units. People sometimes connect their 100W
radios to rain gutters, bed springs, etc. Not ideal, but probably more
fun than using someone else's radio over the internet. The newer HF
radios, power supplies, and antenna tuners are so small that smuggling
them in and using them should not be a problem.