[aklug] Re: Mac + linux

From: Tim Johnson <tim@akwebsoft.com>
Date: Thu Sep 29 2011 - 09:46:45 AKDT

* Marc Grober <marc@interak.com> [110929 08:12]:
> -- Attached file included as plaintext by Ecartis --
>
> On 9/29/11 7:33 AM, Tim Johnson wrote:
> > I just got a mac mini. Latest (2011). 8 Gb RAM is on it way.
> > I have not yet fired it up, but I intend to partition it for a
> > dual-boot linux install. What research I have done indicates that
> > the mac terminal provides a *nix-like experience and I should expect
> > the apps that I can't live without - mc, vim, mutt and gvim
> > (gui-based) as well as various interpreter binaries will work the
> > same way.
> >
> > Has anyone else done a dual-boot on a mac with linux
> > whose experiences can be shared?
> >
> > Can anyone share their 'mac terminal' experiences?
> >
> > thanks
>
> I am unsure what you mean as your question seemingly has nothing to do
> with the dual boot, but......
 I mentioned the dual boot in passing, and in part to solicit any
 comments as to whether or not anyone on this list has set up a
 linux dual boot for mac. Be advised:: written before I had my
 coffee.

> OSX is BSD based (darwin). Not only are there native BSD commands
> available, but there is a full host of unix apps ported (see macports)
> and the latest version of macports should work without a problem on
> Lion. The native OSX terminal works just like a..... terminal ;-)
  I know all of that. Again, just soliciting comments and whether
  there are any significant differences.
  thanks

--
Tim