[aklug] Hams?

From: Steven Johnson <stevejzoo@gmail.com>
Date: Wed Sep 28 2011 - 12:48:18 AKDT

Tim Johnson wrote:

> We have an elderly neighbor who is a ham radio operator and it is a major source of comfort for him.
> Because of his health, he is trying to get into a facility where he can get some care, but I doubt that he can take his gear with him.
> . Is there any sort of computer interface into the ham radio community(communities)?

Perhaps Hamsphere, http://www.hamsphere.com, would work for a amateur
operator who could not take a rig to new living situation. It is one
way to interface with the amateur radio world from a computer without
an attached rig. From the Hamsphere website:

"No extra hardware needed, just your PC, a microphone, speakers and
you are ready to call CQ on the virtual Ham Radio bands. Once you have
installed this Ham Radio Software you will be able to communicate with
thousands of Amateur Radio operators and radio enthusiasts from over
200 countries around the world.

Both Voice (Double Sideband) and CW (Morse code) is supported. The
software works in Windows, Linux and Mac or any other Java driven
system. HamSphere can be used by licensed Amateur Radio operators and
unlicensed radio enthusiasts."

There is a free demo, five days as I recall. Annual subscription is
$30 Canadian.

Steve

--
Steve Johnson