[aklug] Re: Ancient memory needed...

From: Mike Tibor <tibor@tibor.org>
Date: Mon Sep 19 2011 - 22:31:56 AKDT

On Fri, 16 Sep 2011, Arthur Corliss wrote:

> On Thu, 15 Sep 2011, Mike Tibor wrote:
>
>> Unfortunately my wife made me ditch my Alphas. I'm surprised your wife
>> puts up with those SGIs!
>
> :-) She's a saint, I'm an ogre, yeah, yeah... But you have to admit, SGIs
> are *way* sexier than Alphas, so maybe that's why. It's not my winning
> personality, that's for sure. ;-)

Oh, sacrilege! SGIs are just plain homely compared to the raw sex appeal
of a good Alpha.

> I have trimmed the herd tremendously, though. With our lack of convenient
> storage I've voluntarily let hardware go. No sense in keeping stuff around
> that's too much trouble to get to and set up. And once a box has gone dark
> for a few years, perhaps I don't really need it anymore.

I hear you. I've ditched quite a bit of my hardware, and I have quite a
bit more crap I need to dump still (100 Mb nics, a Cisco 3500XL switch, an
old Intel i960 based raid card, even some old IDE drives, believe it or
not)

> So, no more AIX or HP-UX boxen for me, just Linux & IRIX. And I'll probably
> need to let my Alpha & Sparc go. Those cross-platform ports of Nevaeh
> aren't going to happen...

Right now I have just three workstations and my server running. I may
actually be building another little Linux box though, to handle ham radio
stuff. There are repeaters all over the world capable of IRLP and
Echolink, so I'm researching how to build a node for my base station.
It's essentially just VOIP for radio, but so far I've used it to talk to
quite a few foreign countries, including an Aussie electrician at Casey
Station, Antarctica.