[aklug] Re: Ancient memory needed...

From: Arthur Corliss <acorliss@nevaeh-linux.org>
Date: Fri Sep 16 2011 - 16:20:34 AKDT

On Thu, 15 Sep 2011, Mike Tibor wrote:

> Ahhh... that's what I liked about the Alphas--they tended to take the same
> kind of RAM that Intel based servers used.

:-) Actually, the older Alphas use the exact same RAM as the Indy/Indigo2s.
If you have any of that laying around, let me know!

> Unfortunately my wife made me ditch my Alphas. I'm surprised your wife
> puts up with those SGIs!

:-) She's a saint, I'm an ogre, yeah, yeah... But you have to admit, SGIs
are *way* sexier than Alphas, so maybe that's why. It's not my winning
personality, that's for sure. ;-)

I have trimmed the herd tremendously, though. With our lack of convenient
storage I've voluntarily let hardware go. No sense in keeping stuff around
that's too much trouble to get to and set up. And once a box has gone dark
for a few years, perhaps I don't really need it anymore.

So, no more AIX or HP-UX boxen for me, just Linux & IRIX. And I'll probably
need to let my Alpha & Sparc go. Those cross-platform ports of Nevaeh
aren't going to happen...

         --Arthur Corliss
           Live Free or Die