[aklug] Re: FTP

From: Matt Grimm <matt.t.grimm@gmail.com>
Date: Wed Jun 22 2011 - 16:18:00 AKDT

FTP operates on two separate channels: a control channel (usually port 21),
and a data channel (usually port 20 for "active" FTP). The data channel is
used to return results from most of the useful commands, and to actually
transfer data.
See the accepted answer on this article for a more detailed explanation with
specific iptables recommendations:
http://serverfault.com/questions/38398/allowing-ftp-with-iptables

m.