[aklug] Re: The info on google.com/linux

From: Bruce Hill <bruce@slackwarebox.com>
Date: Thu Jun 09 2011 - 11:59:30 AKDT

On Thu, Jun 09, 2011 at 09:17:49AM -0800, Erinn Looney-Triggs wrote:
> Here is the scoop for those who had been wondering where it went:
> http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/229774/say_goodbye_to_google_search_portals_for_linux_mac_and_more.html
>
> In short custom portals were decommissioned because search quality of
> the regular portal is so great now (whether I buy that or not I don't know).
>
> -Erinn

As one who regularly compared the results of Google <Linux> searches vs.
Google and ixquick, even up to last week the Google <Linux> searches were
no less than the others in terms of accurate hits. In fact, Google <Linux>
searches were better, because they eliminated all useless hits from the
search.

We take the lead in eliminating all *Google* from our personal comps, from
our new shop, from all present and future customer's comps.

We have been using ixquick for the superior privacy vs. Google (and all
others) for some time now. Today it got selected as the default search
engine. Will it matter to Google that we've done this? Not in and of
ourselves; but if enough other people show their distaste with Google not
providing that service anymore, it might make a difference somewhere.

Just my 2c

Bruce

--
Happy Penguin Computers               >')
support@happypenguincomputers.com     ( \