[aklug] Re: Putting Linux on a resume for an entry level job

From: Tim Johnson <tim@akwebsoft.com>
Date: Tue May 10 2011 - 14:32:58 AKDT

* Tim Johnson <tim@akwebsoft.com> [110510 11:08]:
> * Tim Gibney <timgibney76@gmail.com> [110510 10:37]:
> > Professionally, I have supported mostly Microsoft based desktops and
> > servers. I moved out of Alaska this past month and discovered many small
> > I.T. shops where I live want Linux experience as they use PcLinuxOS because
> > it has support as Windows Server is expensive and error prone. My experience
> > with Linux is mostly at home as a hobbiest OS to learn PHP, Java, and use
> > the free gcc tools to learn C++ over the years. I have been using Linux for
> > 10 years and have learned how the system works, how to compile programs,
> > etc.
> > My question is, how do I put this on my resume? I do not even have it on
> > there as I figured this would be mostly useful to the bearded Unix admins. I
> > need to show I know how to setup a Linux OS to replace a Windows Server
> > installation. Is there a way to do this while being honest with my lack of
> > using it professional at work?
  PS:
  FYI: I've never put in a resume for IT work, as I have always
  freelanced, but in another life I worked for the State of Ak.
  <shudder> From that experience and from the experience of one
  of my sons, I must add that there are going to be circumstances
  where one may be best advantaged by 'tuning' the resume to the
  expectations of those who review resumes. In 1989, I received a
  list of 'buzzwords' that could be place in my resumed for the State
  'Register'. The buzzwords were often meaningless, but I used them
  and by golly I got the job!
  """
  At the end of the day, the bottom line is that we should be on the
  same sheet of music and think outside of the box.
  """
  <shudder>

--
Tim
tim at johnsons-web dot com or akwebsoft dot com