[aklug] Re: Putting Linux on a resume for an entry level job

From: adam bultman <adamb@glaven.org>
Date: Tue May 10 2011 - 11:20:15 AKDT

On 05/10/2011 10:58 AM, Tim Johnson wrote:
> * Tim Gibney <timgibney76@gmail.com> [110510 10:37]:
>> Professionally, I have supported mostly Microsoft based desktops and
>> servers. I moved out of Alaska this past month and discovered many small
>> I.T. shops where I live want Linux experience as they use PcLinuxOS because
>> it has support as Windows Server is expensive and error prone. My experience
>> with Linux is mostly at home as a hobbiest OS to learn PHP, Java, and use
>> the free gcc tools to learn C++ over the years. I have been using Linux for
>> 10 years and have learned how the system works, how to compile programs,
>> etc.
>> My question is, how do I put this on my resume? I do not even have it on
>> there as I figured this would be mostly useful to the bearded Unix admins. I
>> need to show I know how to setup a Linux OS to replace a Windows Server
>> installation. Is there a way to do this while being honest with my lack of
>> using it professional at work?
> When you write a resume, re-reading should make you blush, but not
> feel guilty. Nothing wrong with exaggerating, as long as you don't
> out-and-out *lie* and can deliver what you speak of.
>
> I would stress both my professional and avocational experience
> and draw parallels between them. I'm speaking as a programmer
> myself, but I have to say that the potential employer/client who
> is looking for a network tech or sysadmin is more interested in
> your system experience as opposed to coding. Having said that, in
> the linux environment I believe that most sysadmins would have
> experience with shell scripting.
>
> Time for Royce, Arthur, et. al. to take the podium.

Tip: Don't make your resume too long. You don't want to miss out on a
job because the person reading it put it in the TL;DR pile.

My mom (awww! Also: She's a teacher, and has done her fair share of
resume writing, critiquing, interviewing, etc) says to keep them as
short as possible. One page, ideally - although mine has overflowed
into two pages now.

And a tip from me: You can stress your experience as a professional and
a hobbyist, but don't embellish or exaggerate. Be sure your
embellishments will find you out. I've gone through stacks of resumes
for previous jobs, and it takes all of 10 minutes to find that out in a
phone or in-person interview. The split second the hard questions come,
the split second you'll be in hot water. And then you got some
`splainin' to do.

--
Adam