[aklug] Re: Off Topic: LTO drives

From: adam bultman <adamb@glaven.org>
Date: Thu Apr 28 2011 - 09:57:52 AKDT

I love my LTO4 tape robot. Two drives, 38 slots, and a whole mess of data.

Perhaps I'm a luddite, but I like writing my data to tape. Storing
backup data on an array is expensive, rolling your own backup server
with cheap drives is a hassle and a headache, and since an LTO4 tape is
$35, if I run out of space, I swap out a couple of the tapes with the
longest retention with a couple new tapes, and I'm set for a while.

Do I still sync data to other locations apart from my tapes? Yep, sure
do. But not near as much data.

The only drawback is that I don't have the license for the backup
software that lets me back up other servers/filers via the FC link; I
have to do NDMP backups over the gigE links to my filer heads. Bummer.
I still get > 100MB/sec, and I've made my peace with that.

Adam

Adam