[aklug] Re: Off Topic: LTO drives

From: Shane R. Spencer <shane@bogomip.com>
Date: Thu Apr 28 2011 - 09:27:11 AKDT

I like this comparison. (without compression)

Keep in mind that this is a comparison with a year and months WORTH of data.. not per year
or month.

Retaining a years worth of data
--------------------------------
Computer holding Dell LTO-3 Drive $500
Dell LTO-3 Drive $3000
Cost per tape $25

   Cost for all tapes for 1 tape/day over 1 year
   $9125/year worth
   Cost for all tapes for 20 gigs/day over 1 year and 2 full tapes every week for full
backups.
   $3056/year worth

VERSUS THE CHALLENGER (With identical offloading speed)

Computer $500
400GB OCZ Vertex 2 Sata II SSD MLC $1900 (For offloading)
OR Logical append of 2 x 200GB OCZ Vertex 2 Sata II SSD MLC $400/each $800/total (For
offloading)
OR Raid5 of 4 x 1TB 7200RPM drives (high speed striped offloading + instant archive
access) $90/each $360 total.
Cost per external 400-500GB drive $80

   Cost for all drives for 1 drive/day over 1 year
   $29200/year worth
   Cost for all drives for 20 gigs/day over 1 year and 2 full drives every week for full
backups.
   $14160/year worth

AND

Retaining a months worth of data
--------------------------------
Computer holding Dell LTO-3 Drive $500
Dell LTO-3 Drive $3000
Cost per tape $25

   Cost for all tapes for 1 tape/day over 1 month
   $775/months worth
   Cost for all tapes for 20 gigs/day over 1 month and 2 full tapes every week for full
backups.
   $88/months worth

VERSUS THE CHALLENGER (With identical offloading speed)

Computer $500
400GB OCZ Vertex 2 Sata II SSD MLC $1900 (For offloading)
OR Logical append of 2 x 200GB OCZ Vertex 2 Sata II SSD MLC $400/each $800/total (For
offloading)
OR Raid5 of 4 x 1TB 7200RPM drives (high speed striped offloading + instant archive
access) $90/each $360 total.
Cost per external 400-500GB drive $80

   Cost for all drives for 1 drive/day over 1 year
   $2480/months worth
   Cost for all drives for 20 gigs/day over 1 year and 2 full drives every week for full
backups.
   $496/months worth

The initial startup cost for tapes is $3500 sans external media
The initial startup cost for drives using an SSD offload is $2400 sans external media
The initial startup cost for drives using a raid 5 hard drive offload is around $860

Depends on what you need and what you can afford initially but I'd say the cost for tape
media makes up for the initial cost and then some.

- Shane